Sunday, December 12, 2004

Why All Countries Should Drive On The Right Side Of The Road And Use The Metric System (plus a small ode to meat pies)

This whole riding on the left side of the road thing is driving me nuts. Granted it hasn't even been a week yet, but nevermind, it's still stupid. Being somewhere new doesn't help the situation much as I'll be riding along, checking things out, trying to remember (or figure out) where I am, take a turn and ride on the right side of the street for about fourteen feet until some kiwi comes driving up my side and I'm thinking "what's she doing on MY SIDE of the road?" Bust a quick manuever to keep for getting killed and usually I'll realize she's not such an idiot after all. What can I say. I'm a slow learner.
On the other side of the coin is the metric system. Cool in many ways. Much easier to understand than the... non metric system or whatever we have in the states. Everything's in increments of tens, hundreds and such. Awesome. Also nice for rides, makes you feel like you're actually doing a fair amount of distance ("yeah, I did a pretty easy hundred k today..").
I can understand why American's will never switch to metric ("I aint usin none o that sissy euro talk!") but why we don't have meat pies is beyond me. It's such an American thing, it surprises me that you'd find it anywhere else. It's a simple and brilliant concept. Take a crisp flaky pie crust like the kind you'd find on a apple pie, make it about fist sized, then fill it with steak or chicken or whatever, add sauce and BINGO. You've got a 2 dollar lunch made in heaven. Awesome post ride and probably pretty good for those with hangovers, but I wouldn't know. DT

No comments: