Saturday, May 03, 2008

plyos are bad for you

So about 3 weeks ago I'm doing box jumps with Blatchford. From the ground up to a platform 64 inches off the ground. Kinda like jumping onto someone's head. Even if your vertical leap is pretty high, it still takes a lot of effort, some luck and a smallish brain to jump that high repeatedly for a workout. So anyway, long story short on my third jump I drove my hand into the box with all my might and probably broke my thumb. At the time I was hoping it was a sprain (despite the grapefruit-size swelling and black and blue coloring), but 3 weeks on and I still can't do power cleans or anything that requires controlling a bar with weight on it. Riding's no problem, it's just a limiter in the gym. So more frustrating than anything. Fortunately my strength coach Mike figured out all the lifts I can do (like squats) and is punishing me for my lack of durability.

Ping Pong makes his grand entrance in T-minus 5 days. The couch is ready, I've got a couple days off and some mountain bike rides figured out.

Did some work on the truck the other day. Think it's coming along nicely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do you put the pirate flag on that thing?? Say hi to Ping Pong for us. Oh, T minus 5 days 'till Signal fitting...it's gonna be a long 4 month wait.

And mom says stop punching your plyo box, you're not there for boxing camp Pal.

piglet said...

I did not say that. But I'm going to say this: do you make that Six-Million-Dollar-Man doy-doy-oing sound when you guys jump that high?

I mean, when you're not making that pain sound from whacking your thumb.

Hope you won't need a thumb button like the Captain had That One Time.